Opioid misuse and overdose are at an epidemic level in the state and the country, driven by a myriad of factors including COVID, poverty, homelessness, mental illness, and professional overprescribing of opioids. This course aims to address the complex issues associated with substance use disorders and the role of dental professionals in addressing the opioid crisis by screening for substance use disorders, referring patients for sobriety and recovery support, and providing evidence-based pain management. This course satisfies 1 hour of the DEA MATE requirement for registrant renewal.
Participants will learn:
- How to identify patients at risk or with a substance use disorder
- Describe the requirements of a Schedule II drug as defined by the United States Controlled Substance Act
- Identify opioid and non-opioid strategies for dental pain management
- Recognize symptoms of an opioid overdose and how to treat with opioid antagonists
- The regulatory requirements for prescribers of opioids including utilization of the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program databases
- Harm reduction strategies for patients with opioid-use disorders
Ronni Brown DDS, MPHMore courses with Ronni Brown
Dr. Ronni Brown is a dentist, researcher, speaker and author who bridges the gap between dentistry, public health and substance abuse. She is a leader in dental public health, experienced in identifying emerging issues in the care and delivery of dental services to underserved populations, and competent in developing strategic action plans to achieve measurable results. Her research on the impact of drug-use patterns on “meth mouth” severity has garnered international interest and Dr. Brown is recognized as a leading expert on the oral effects of substance abuse. She is the author of the recently released #1 best seller, “A State of Decay: Your Dental Guide to Understanding and Treating Meth Mouth”. Dr. Brown earned a bachelors, dental, and master’s degree in public health from the University of California, Los Angeles, completed a post-graduate dental practice residency at the Veteran’s Administration Medical Center, San Francisco and a dental public health residency at the University of California, San Francisco. She is a member of the American Dental Association, National Dental Association, California Dental Association, American Association of Public Health Dentistry and the Dental Speaker’s Bureau. She currently practices at the Sonoma County Main Adult Detention Facility in Santa Rosa, California.