Improving Oral Health: Are We Getting the Best from Our Patients
This course will explore the concepts behind behavior change.
- What are the obstacles to changing behavior, and what we can do to enhance our oral care conversation with our patients to facilitate their innate motivation to change?
- We will have an in-depth discussion on Motivational Interviewing in the dental office complete with time to practice this proven treatment option.
- We will also review an online program to help support your oral health conversation, the Gum Health Physical.
At the end of this educational activity the participant will be able to:
- Define motivational interviewing as it relates to behavior change in patients.
- Understand the role denial plays in motivating change
- Be familiar with communication styles that resonate with patients in communication, their participation, their gingival health.
- Understand the 6 Transtheoretical Stages of Change.
- Demonstrate motivational interviewing to elicit the patients desire to change.