Medical Emergencies for the Dental Professional Part 2: Medical Emergency Scenarios
Ellen B. Grimes RDH, MA, MPA, Ed.D
Dental hygiene and dental visits still remain anxiety-inducing experiences for some patients.
Dental hygiene and dental visits still remain anxiety-inducing experiences for some patients. This heightened anxiety level can increase the risk of medical emergencies occurring during appointments. This course will utilize simulated emergencies and videos to promote the determination of the correct emergency diagnosis and the proper treatment procedures to be rendered by the dental professional in the event that an emergency should arise. An array of emergencies will be covered from syncope to anaphylactic shock. Highlighted will be the prevention of medical emergencies by the use of appropriate assessment procedures prior to treatment. The importance of preparing and maintaining an adequate medical emergency kit will be emphasized. This course is designed as a two-part series.
Part 2 will focus on these specific skills:
Participants will learn:
- Review of basics covered in part 1
- Continuation of common medical emergencies in the dental office
- Allergy related emergencies
“Medical Emergencies for the Dental Professional Part 2: Medical Emergency Scenarios” is co-sponsored by Tribune Group GmbH. Tribune Group GmbH is a recognized ADA CERP and AGD PACE provider.
At the end of the webinar, after passing the C.E. Quiz, you will be able to download your ADA CERP and AGD PACE C.E. Certificates.
- State the rationale for baseline vital signs.
- Understand the importance of medical emergency simulation.
- Understand the importance of current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
- Recognize the symptoms of several medical emergencies that may occur in the dental office.
- Explain the emergency procedure to be followed for several medical emergencies that may occur in the dental office.
- Identify essential emergency equipment for the emergency cart.